Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Idli Dosa Milaga Podi (Chutney Podi)


This is one the must in all households in South Indian.When my daughter started having it with idli, I didn't want to give her the store bought one.So I was forced to make an unadulterated podi.So this is how I started making podis at home.I learnt it from so many people with lot of variations.At last I stuck to my own style.
There is a important trick in this podi.My daughter and husband throw away all the curry leaves in whichever dish I add,so I added a lot of curry leaves in this and ground it.They like my idli podi very much not knowing  curry leaves are in it! How is it ?Ha ha ha



So here it goes....
Channa dal- 1/2 cup
urad dhal- 1/2 cup
red chillies- 12-14
tamarind - a small piece
hing-1/4tsp
sesame seeds- 2tsp
sugar- 1tsp
salt- 1&1/2 tsp
curry leaves- a handful
garlic- 5 cloves chopped finely







Method:
Roast channa,garlic until fine brown.Keep it aside.
Now roast and sesame seeds urad dhal until fine brown.(appro 8 min for each one)
Now add red chillies hing,sugar,tamarind,garlic,curry leaves and salt.
Now add all the ingredients and fry for 1-2 minutes.Don't char it.
Cool it and grind this in a mixie into a powder.
Store it in air tight jar.


Note:
Its shelf life is 5 months.You get 1&1/2 cups of podi for the above measurement.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments.